Antique Oak Filing Cabinets ex-The Palace of Westminster
These under-counter Antique Oak, Perpendicular Gothic Revival Filing Cabinet, blocks of 4 drawers with internal steel filing rails.
Following the bomb damage of the House of Commons on the 10th-11th May 1941, rebuilding of Pugin’s design was overseen by the architect Sir Giles Gilbert Scott between 1945 and 1950 and undertaken by John Mowlem & Co.
As noted in the 2006 Memorandum from the Palace of Westminster’s Sergeant at Arms, on behalf of the Board of Management presented to the Select Committee on Administration, an order to replace all low-level cabinets with tall steel filing cabinets to efficiently utilize space.
Each Cabinet is built with 2 Drawers over 2 Drawers. Each drawer is mounted on steel pull-out rails. Internally each Drawer is fitted with two filing rails mounted on the mahogany drawer box. Each cabinet has oak veneered panels mounted in solid oak frames; the front corner stiles are chamfered in the Victorian Perpendicular Gothic Revival style. originally designed by AWN Pugin for the rebuilding of the Palace in the 1840s. The original over-countertops were discarded during removal. The internal metal rails are screwed to the timber using the developed Phillips screws of the 1936 vintage
These historic Cabinets are ideal for Home Study or Office layouts or as stand-alone cabinets when fitted with a solid oak top.
A must-have piece of furniture, representing British parliamentary history and development.
Please Note – Shipping for these cabinets is collected in person or we can arrange shipment if required via pallet freight, shipping is quoted as UK zone 1 anything outside of zone 1 will incur an additional cost, please contact us for a quote.
|Condition||Some small chips and dings, otherwise in very good order and appearance.|
|Style||Vertical Gothic Revival|
|Age||Unknown, at least 70 years old|
|Size||Height; 28in (71cm)
Length: 36in (91.5cm)
Depth: 20in (51cm)